Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Genealogy

Let me precede this posting by telling you that Anthropology is about as exciting for me as being stuck in traffic on a Monday. Personally I view Cultural Anthropology less as a science and more of a nuisance.
Anywho, in my Anthropology last night we were asked to share our families' genealogies. I know that you're thrilled at the idea, because I was too. I was so thrilled in fact that I took about 30 seconds to do the in depth research into my family's history by writing down what I was familiar with based upon my casual recollection. Strangely though there were people who spent many hours or days to complete this same task. They went back and traced their lineage back to like the 12th Century B.C. They knew the ins and outs of each branch of their shade tree as though it helped to define their self-worth and merit. This bugged the heck out of me.
First, I am highly sceptical of anyone who has traced their ancestry back to the pilgrims. "Hi I'm Joe Schmoe and my family helped to found Jamestown in Virginia." Well listen up Joe, your family did not. Don't believe me, then look it up in the history books.
Secondly, your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather's uncle was not Thomas Jefferson! I cannot emphasize this enough. I know that T.J. was a ladies man back in the day, but you and the other two people in the room are not related. You just want to feel important like you're adding something to history.
This is what really bothers me about genealogy. People want to know about the past as though it changes who they are. Look, I'll listen to my grandma's stories about her grandmother. They're interesting. But I personally never met the person. My great-great-grandmother has no more bearing on who I am and what I do with my life than my neighbor down the street. If she did then she would have left me instructions on how to finish my Accounting homework. If you want to ask me about my family, ask me about my Dad or brother; ask me about my grandparents on both sides who helped to shape me. Do not ask me where my ancestors came from. IT DOESN'T MATTER! It only furthers to perpetuate stereotypes, labels, and relinquishes our achievements and failures to those of our forefathers.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

so then i shouldn't brag that i am a decendant of a certain nazi dicator? yes...no...maybe?

Anonymous said...

When I found out about my genes, I cried for 3 days